As the Gianni Schicchi/Zanetto double bill at Opera Holland Park comes to an end this week, we focus on Mascagni‘s lesser known one act opera Zanetto.
1. Mascagni had so many devoted fans during his lifetime that ‘mascagnano‘ was recognised as a common noun in the Italian dictionary.
2. The premiere of Zanetto in 1896 featured as part of the annual celebrations for Rossini’s birthday.
3. A private performance of Zanetto was held in London shortly after the Italian premiere, with Italian sisters Sofia and Giulia Ravogli.
4. Five years ago in June 2007, Zanetto was performed in New York for the first time since its US premiere in October 1902.
5. Giovanni Targioni-Tozzetti, the librettist for Zanetto (along with Guido Menasci), was a lifelong friend of Mascagni’s, born in the same year and city.
The remaining performances of the Gianni Schicchi/Zanetto double bill are on July 12 & 14 at 7.30pm, as well as The Christine Collins Young Artists’ performance on July 14 at 2pm.